03 May 2008

racing for lois


most of you know that i waited a long time to become the flipflop fed - two years to be exact. and in that time i had many odd jobs, as well as a year-long, gut-wrenching, soul-stealing, self esteem-ruining stint at a beltway bandit. it was immediately following that pleasant experience that i started as the flipflop fed and met lois taylor. lois was assigned as my supervisor, but she didn't know i was coming! she had been on vacation and returned on my first day. i met her as she was coming in the door. for a moment i thought that i was about to have a repeat of the year passed. but the feeling was fleeting - lois joked and made me feel completely at ease. she was one of a kind - she took me under her wing and gave me time to heal; all-the-while pushing me to do the things that she knew i was capable of.

on saturday, june 7th, i will participate in the national race for the cure in memory of my supervisor and friend lois taylor. lois passed away this past december after a valiant and gracious fight against breast cancer. i was truly blessed to have known lois and am forever grateful that she allowed me to be a part of her fight. and so, in her memory, i will continue the fight. please consider fighting with me by making a donation to the susan komen foundation.

you can go to my race for the cure donation page and support my efforts in this fight.

No comments: