09 June 2009

diving through

i was talking to my therapist a few weeks back and she asked me these two questions -

1) what would you do if someone was standing in front of you and it became quite obvious that they were going to hurl a large rock at your head?

i quickly responded that i would duck. it seemed to be an acceptable answer because she nodded and asked me the next question ...

2) what would you do if you were standing on the edge of the shore and a huge wave was about to break?

without hesitation, i replied "i would duck." she looked perplexed and started to quiz me - "you'd duck? what does that mean? you wouldn't run away to protect yourself?"

"nah," i said. "i'd duck under and come out the other side. diving through a really big wave is an incredibly exhilarating feeling. it sort of whips your body up and then you feel the water rushing over your face as you rocket through."

she was still a little befuddled.

i told her that i might get knocked back, maybe even get scraped up, but i was confident that i would get back up to duck under the next one.

at the end of our exchange, she told me that i had my answer.

No comments: