02 April 2008

things i'm no good at ...



... bargaining. and i'm just not "no good" at it, i actually suck at it. yep, i'm a sucker and they see me coming. example - we were traveling in mexico a few years back and i probably paid more than the standard gringo markup for a piece of cloth because i offered them a price first. my partner tried to school me on the techniques (she could talk a polar bear off the last piece of ice in the arctic), but no amount of instruction helped and i was soon banned from buying anything by myself. that was until today! today i successfully negotiated a killer price for the new fence for our backyard. it was so good that my partner didn't even try to step in! so giving all that extra money to the mexican artisan was well worth the training (although, i probably could have put a fence all the way around the yard if i hadn't paid $400 for the washcloth weaved in ... china!)

No comments: