11 August 2009

farewell mrs. shriver

i like to say that life is about making memories. a few of my fondest memories are from my college years and it was during that time that i had the opportunity to get to know eunice kennedy shriver. what started as an internship at the kennedy foundation and the dc office of best buddies evolved into running errands and doing odd jobs for mrs. shriver during my junior and senior years. i'm not going to lie - she wasn't the easiest of people. (to give you an idea - mr. shriver had the same assistant, jeannie, for almost his entire career; whereas mrs. shriver went through at least 5 personal assistants in the 2 1/2 years that i was around!) she was very particular and demanded the most of people - just like she did of herself - but, for whatever reason, we clicked and got along famously. she inspired me with her commitment to people with disabilities and encouraged me to pursue a career in the field of special education - because i was oh so well prepared with my degree in international affairs! but, in the end, she was right - you follow your passion and everything else will work out.

farewell mrs. shriver, farewell



No comments: